Search this Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Regency Ball Gown

When I was 17 years old, we had a prom at school. For the ball, we rehearsed traditional ballroom dances for months before the event.  It was a custom to dress in a period dress for the ball, and the style of dress was an obvious choice for me. It was to be a Regency-style dress: a long gown with a high waistline.

My mum designed and stitched the dress for me overnight, and I loved it! She still has the dress in her wardrobe, so I asked her to send a picture of the dress.

Here are some photos of the gown, with mum’s beautiful friend as a model:

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The fabric is a heavy silk (unlike the light muslins of the period) with lace trimmings on the puffy sleeves and neckline.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

At the back, there are four buttons for dressing and undressing.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The dress flows beautifully and is a delight to dance with. 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I wonder if the dress still fits me… I hope to wear it to the Jane Austen festival in Bath one day. :)

Now where can I find a bonnet to match?

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!! That is one GORGEOUS dress!!! So beautifully made, the color is stunning, and the material... *sigh*... I have such a weakness for silk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Aurora :) Nice to get a compliment from a stitching wizard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress Anna. Is that you in the picture?

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tony :) That's my mum's friend modelling. The dress is with my mum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the color especially. I think the empire silhouette is so flattering! - Vic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Vic. It's my favourite colour, too :) I love the empire silhouette, it suits so many body types.

    ReplyDelete

Would love for you to add some valuable comments and feedback!